from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Formerly Pleasant IslandNauru An island country of the central Pacific Ocean just south of the equator and west of Kiribati. Inhabited by a population of mainly Polynesian ancestry, Nauru was explored by the British in 1798 and became a German protectorate in 1888. Nauru was administered by Australia from 1914 until it became independent in 1968. The capital is Yaren. Population: 13,500.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A country in Oceania. Official name: Republic of Nauru.
- proper n. The island on which the country is located.
- proper n. Nauruan, the language of Nauru
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an island republic on Nauru Island; phosphate exports support the economy
- n. a small island in the central Pacific Ocean 2,800 miles to the southwest of Hawaii; in Micronesia to the west of the Gilbert Islands
Possibly from Nauruan anáoero ("I go to the beach"). (Wiktionary)