from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A municipal borough of west-central England southwest of Stoke. It has varied industries. Population: 74,400.
- A borough of northeast England on the Tyne River north of Leeds. Built on the site of a Roman military station, it became a coal-shipping port in the 13th century and was the principal center for coal exports after the 16th century. Its prominence in the trade gave rise to the expression to carry coals to Newcastle, meaning "to do something superfluous or unnecessary.” Population: 189,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A city in northeastern England; properly Newcastle upon Tyne
- proper n. A city in New South Wales, Australia, situated at the mouth of the Hunter River.
- proper n. Any of several places in the UK, Ireland, and USA.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- proper n. A town in England.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
My friend and teacher, Mr. Lowes, after a temporary absence from Newcastle, had returned to it to undertake the editorship of the _Newcastle Journal_, a weekly Tory newspaper which was about to appear in a daily edition.
NEWCASTLE, Ont. - A three-year-old boy is in stable condition in hospital after falling under a trailer being towed by a family vehicle in Newcastle, Ont. Durham regional police say officers were called to a residence in the community east of
NEWCASTLE, England (AFP) - Andy Carroll celebrated his birthday in style at St James 'Park as the Newcastle striker secured a point for the Magpies in an entertaining 2-2 draw with West Ham.
NEWCASTLE, England - Alan Shearer began work as Newcastle manager on Thursday, taking charge of his first training session as he tries to save the Magpies from relegation.
NEWCASTLE, England - Newcastle midfielder Peter Lovenkrands was taken to hospital wearing breathing apparatus Saturday after collapsing during his side's 2-0 defeat against Chelsea.
NEWCASTLE captain Michael Owen admits the prospect of Newcastle dropping out of the Barclays Premier League is unthinkable.
NEWCASTLE (AFP) - Newcastle manager Alan Shearer will not take disciplinary action against Obafemi Martins, despite the Nigeria striker's late withdrawal from Saturday's 1-1 draw against Stoke.
NEWCASTLE, England (AFP) - Newcastle goalkeeper Shay Given is ready to quit the struggling Premier League club, according to his lawyer.
NEWCASTLE, England - Shay Given's 11-year stay at Newcastle looks set to end after his lawyer said the Ireland goalkeeper was unhappy with the way the Premier League club is being run.
NEWCASTLE, England (AFP) - Mark Viduka could remain at Newcastle beyond the end of the season, manager Alan Shearer has revealed.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.