from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A city of northwest Belgium on the North Sea west-southwest of Bruges. It was a German submarine base during World War I and was severely damaged by Allied bombing during World War II. Population: 69,100.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The largest coastal city of Belgium.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To exhibit; to manifest.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To show; exhibit; manifest.
- To show itself; be exhibited or manifested.
From Dutch Oostende, from oost ("east") + ende ("end"); in the middle ages the city was on the easter end of an island, Testerep, which is now attached to the main land. (Wiktionary)