from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- An ancient country of northeast Asia Minor along the southern coast of the Black Sea. Established in the fourth century B.C., it flourished under Mithridates VI until his defeat by Pompey of Rome in 66.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A god of the sea.
- proper n. An ancient region and kingdom on the southern coast of the Black Sea.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an ancient region of northern Asia Minor on the Black Sea; it reached its height under Mithridates VI but was later incorporated into the Roman Empire
- n. (Greek mythology) ancient personification of the sea; father of Nereus
Ancient Greek Πόντος (Wiktionary)