from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- The capital of North Carolina, in the east-central part of the state southeast of Durham. Selected as the capital in 1788, the city was laid out in 1792. Population: 356,000.
- Raleigh, Sir Walter 1552?-1618. English courtier, navigator, colonizer, and writer. A favorite of Elizabeth I, he campaigned in Ireland and Cádiz, explored Guiana, colonized Virginia, and introduced tobacco and the potato to Europe. Convicted of treason by James I, he was released for another expedition to Guiana and executed after its failure. His literary works include poetry, memoirs, and a world history.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. the county seat of Wake County and the capital of North Carolina
- proper n. an English place name, surname and given name
- proper n. Sir Walter Raleigh English explorer and soldier
- proper n. an English bicycle manufacturer
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. capital of the state of North Carolina; located in the east central part of the North Carolina
- n. English courtier (a favorite of Elizabeth I) who tried to colonize Virginia; introduced potatoes and tobacco to England (1552-1618)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
RALEIGH - Shopping centers in Raleigh increasingly advertise themselves as "upscale" or "affluent."
RALEIGH - After two decades in business, the partners at Raleigh law firm
RALEIGH - While traveling back to Raleigh recently from a family cook-out in Mint Hill, my kids and I stopped at a convenience store in the Montgomery County town of Troy for gas and soft drinks.
RALEIGH -- A day after a state education board member was found seriously injured inside the home of a Raleigh attorney, police said they could not rule out a random assault in a normally peaceful neighborhood of modest homes inside the Beltline.
RALEIGH -- Several outbreaks of norovirus - a common source of stomach flu - have sickened more than 200 people in Raleigh and 180 in Jackson County in Western North
RALEIGH -- A minor concealed weapons charge got a lot worse for a Raleigh man after he was taken to jail Sunday.
RALEIGH -- Several outbreaks of norovirus - a common source of stomach flu - have sickened more than 200 people in Raleigh and 180 in Jackson County in Western North cholera outbreak in 50 years, which has killed at least 40 people and sickened 2,000 over the
RALEIGH - The state Attorney General's Office has sued a Raleigh company that claims to repair consumers 'credit, saying the company took fees from customers without performing services.
RALEIGH -- To join the Coffee Party in Raleigh, you can't be a screamer, a name-caller, a loud-mouthed zealot or somebody whose idea of politics translates to jabbing a sign in the air, red in the face.
RALEIGH -- A Raleigh woman was critically injured after her car crossed into oncoming traffic on Glenwood Avenue and collided with another vehicle on Saturday morning.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.