American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of or relating to the Rh factor: an Rh antigen; the Rh blood group; Rh incompatibility.
- The symbol for the element rhodium.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- An initial sequence, originally an aspirated r, occurring in English, etc., in words of Greek origin. In early modern and Middle English, as well as in Spanish, Italian, Old French, etc., it is also or only written r. When medial, as it becomes in composition, the r is doubled, and is commonly written
rrh, after the Greek form ρ\ρ\, which, however, is now commonly written ρρ. In modern formations medial rrh is often reduced to rh. (For examples of rh, see the words following, and catarrh, diarrhea, hemorrhage, myrrh, pyrrhic, etc.) The combination rh properly occurs only in Greek words; other instances are due to error or confusion, or are exceptional, as in rhymefor rine, rhine for rine, rhone for rone, etc.
- The chemical symbol of rhodium.
- n. An abbreviation of Royal Horse Artillery.
- n. An abbreviation of Royal Horse Guards.
- n. any of several hormones produced in the hypothalamus and carried by a vein to the anterior pituitary gland where they stimulate the release of anterior pituitary hormones; each of these hormones causes the anterior pituitary to secrete a specific hormone
- n. a white hard metallic element that is one of the platinum group and is found in platinum ores; used in alloys with platinum
- n. a blood group antigen possessed by Rh-positive people; if an Rh-negative person receives a blood transfusion from an Rh-positive person it can result in hemolysis and anemia
“Rhogam is a human blood-derived vaccine that is typically given to Rh - mothers (my wife) who give birth to Rh+ babies.”
“In fact it's possible, I guess, that the very Rh disease itself may have caused higher concentrations of Rh- by killing Rh+ unborn children.”
“In fact, the only among your children that could have the Rh disease would be those with the Rh+ phenotype if the mother is Rh-, of course.”
“So what actually does the Rh factor is to somewhat reduce the possibilities of Rh- women of having children with Rh+ men.”
“It has been suggested that the mixing of Rh - and Rh+ blood groups reflects the mixing of hunter-gatherers and farmers in after the Ice Age.”
“Unlike ABO groups**, most people with Rh - blood don't have antibodies against Rh unless they've had specific exposures-like, say, childbirth of an Rh+ baby.”
“So, in the absence of technical help, available only in the last 50 or so years, an Rh - person and their Rh+ spouse could have one, maybe 2 children together at most.”
“Blood is either Rh positive (Rh+) or Rh negative (Rh -).”
“The first Rh - baby is OK and any subsequent Rh+ fetus would be stillborn due to attack from the mother's antibodies reacting to testosterone.”
“This test will determine your blood type as well as show if you are Rhesus positive (Rh+) or negative (Rh -).”
‘Rh’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Rh.