from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A city of southeast Minnesota southeast of St. Paul. The Mayo Clinic (founded in 1889) is located here. Population: 97,000.
- A city of western New York east-northeast of Buffalo on the New York State Barge Canal near Lake Ontario. It was first settled c. 1812 and grew rapidly after the opening of the Erie Canal (1825). Population: 208,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A city name, originally of the Rochester in Kent, England.
- proper n. A British surname.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a town in southeast Minnesota
- n. a city in western New York; a center of the photographic equipment industry
Old English Hrofæcæstir, probably meaning ‘Roman town called Hrofi (an ancient Celtic name)’. (Wiktionary)