from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A community of southwest British Columbia, Canada, a suburb of Vancouver on the Strait of Georgia. Population: 174,000.
- A city of western California on an inlet of San Francisco Bay north-northwest of Oakland. It is a port and industrial center. Population: 102,000.
- The capital of Virginia, in the east-central part of the state on the James River north of Petersburg. Settled in the 17th century, it became the capital of Virginia in 1779 and was strategically important in the American Revolution and the Civil War, during which it was the capital of the Confederacy. The evacuation of Richmond by Confederate troops on April 3, 1865, led to Gen. Robert E. Lee's surrender to Gen. Ulysses S. Grant on April 9. Population: 193,000.
- See Staten Island.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The capital of Virginia.
- proper n. A common place name (Richmonds on Wikipedia)
- proper n. A surname derived from the English place name.
- proper n. A male given name transferred from the surname.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. capital of the state of Virginia located in the east central part of the state; was capital of the Confederacy during the American Civil War
RICHMOND -- The legal challenge to the nation's new health-care law was launched Thursday in a courtroom in Richmond, where the office of Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli II argued that the measure is an unprecedented overreach by Washington that violates the founders 'intention of a limited federal government.
RICHMOND -- The data storage unit that failed in a warehouse outside of Richmond last week, wreaking havoc in the computer networks of a number of Virginia agencies for more than a week, is a ubiquitous bit of technology used by virtually every major company and government in the country.
RICHMOND - Environmentalists gathered in Richmond today with an early holiday present for Governor Bob McDonnell- $400 in renewable energy credits to power the Governor's Mansion through 2011.
COACH KEN CARTER, FORMER RICHMOND HIGH SCHOOL COUNCIL: For this to happen, the assault, it kind of put a black eye on Richmond.
COACH KEN CARTER, FORMER RICHMOND HIGH SCHOOL COACH: For this to happen, the assault, it kind of put a black eye on Richmond, and -- and this is our way of starting to rebuild and appeal.
JIM NOLAN, "RICHMOND TIMES-DISPATCH": Well, Nancy, today Richmond police, acting as part of a task force of FBI, Virginia state police and other law enforcement agencies, executed warrants at the home of Taylor Behl in Vienna, Virginia.
RICHMOND - Legislators will be paid for their Friday lodging and eating expenses in Richmond even though they went home because the day's session was canceled due to the snowstorm.
RICHMOND - A Madison Circuit Court jury found three Richmond police officers not guilty Monday on all charges of intimidating or tampering with a witness.
RICHMOND - A Richmond resident has turned the tragic experience of losing a loved one to cancer into a foundation that can help serve cancer patients in the future.
RICHMOND - A pair of former Richmond police officers have appealed their firing by the
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.