from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See Nenets.
- n. Any of a breed of medium-sized dog originally developed in northern Eurasia, having a thick, long, white or cream-colored coat.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a member of the Samoyedic peoples of the Siberian Urals; they speak Samoyedic languages
- n. a hardy breed of dog from Siberia
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of a race inhabiting the northern coast of Asia and eastern Europe, and belonging to the Ural-Altaic family.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a Samoyedic-speaking person in northwestern Siberia
- n. the Uralic languages spoken by the Samoyed in northwestern Siberia
- n. Siberian breed of white or cream-colored dog of the spitz family
The word Samoyed is actually a russian corruption or mispronunciation of the real word for all those tribes in general: "Saamod" or "Saamid". if you break Samoyed down into the two russian
Polar Sea, of the Siberian cedar-tree, of the word Samoyed signifying self-eaters, &c. [
:) Here you go: apparently, "Samoyed" as a dog name came up b / c the various nomadic & reindeer herding peoples of Russia were / are 'Samoyedic' peoples and they were the "samoyed dogs".
We have recruited her replacement, a beautiful Samoyed Puppy now sleeping at my feet.
She's also raised award-winning Samoyed dogs since I was little, and running a Samoyed rescue club for ages.
Massachusetts with Clemmie (short for Clementine), her Samoyed canine companion.
We had a fox in the garden last year, and I am worried incase my Samoyed gets hold of it ... can't find anything (legal) on the internet that I can do or buy to get rid of it.
Daniel 1979 will probably find that the fox he is worried about has negotiated a non-aggression pact with his Samoyed.
Growing up with a fluffy Samoyed named Pola, and a longing for a feline friend, Harris' first experience with the equine set came along with an impromptu visit from the neighbors who had dropped by to kindly ask that Pola stop chasing and antagonizing their horses.
"That's Samoyed," she'd told me with pride when I pointed to particularly soft strip running across her giant loom.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.