from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See Nenets.
- n. Any of a breed of medium-sized dog originally developed in northern Eurasia, having a thick, long, white or cream-colored coat.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a member of the Samoyedic peoples of the Siberian Urals; they speak Samoyedic languages
- n. a hardy breed of dog from Siberia
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of a race inhabiting the northern coast of Asia and eastern Europe, and belonging to the Ural-Altaic family.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a Samoyedic-speaking person in northwestern Siberia
- n. the Uralic languages spoken by the Samoyed in northwestern Siberia
- n. Siberian breed of white or cream-colored dog of the spitz family
Obsolete Russian samoyed (samo-, self; see samovar + -ed, eater, by folk etymology from Lapp sāmḿ emḿne, land of the Sami.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)