from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A former village of eastern New York on the west bank of the Hudson River east of Saratoga Springs. The defeat and surrender of Gen. John Burgoyne's British army on October 17, 1777, marked the end of the hard-fought Saratoga Campaign (June-October) and was a major turning point in the American Revolution.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to Saratoga Springs, a watering-place In the State of New York: as, Saratoga waters; a Saratoga trunk.
- n. A contraction of Saratoga trunk; a large trunk originally intended to carry a woman's dresses, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a battle during the American Revolution (1777); the British under Burgoyne were defeated
- n. a species of large fish found in Australian rivers
Sorry, no etymologies found.
SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. - Wagering across the country on races run through the first two full weeks at Saratoga is nearly identical with 2009 figures according to statistics released today by the New York Racing Association, Inc.
SARATOGA SPRINGS -- For Wings Over Saratoga owner Neil Neilson, the Super Bowl is about bringing thousands of pounds of chicken wings to the masses.
SARATOGA SPRINGS - NewsChannel 13 has learned that a Saratoga county man has pleaded guilty in a fatal hit an run accident.
SARATOGA SPRINGS -- Joan Whitford sat in the community room of the Saratoga Springs Public Library Monday afternoon, one of approximately 80 people who attended an event that honored the life of Martin Luther King Jr.
SARATOGA SPRINGS - Saratoga police said anonymous tips from concerned citizens sparked a monthlong investigation that concluded with the arrest of two men on drug charges.
SARATOGA SPRINGS - Favored horse Hot Dixie Chick raced to a 6 1/4-length victory in the 91st running of the $150,000-added Schuylerville Stakes for 2-year-old fillies on opening day at Saratoga Race Course.
SARATOGA SPRINGS, NY -- At least three dozen restaurants will be participating in the 5th annual Saratoga Restaurant Week.
SARATOGA SPRINGS -- Chris Jayko assisted two goals for the Saratoga boys soccer team to help the Blue Streaks beat La Salle, 3-0, in the Section II Class AA opening-round match on Thursday.
SARATOGA SPRINGS -- The 2008 football season for the Saratoga football team ended in extremely painful fashion -- especially for the members of the team's secondary.
SARATOGA SPRINGS - The race is on for new Saratoga businesses to be open in time for racing season.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.