from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A loose one-piece outer garment worn in public by male citizens in ancient Rome.
- n. A robe of office; a professional or ceremonial gown.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Loose outer garment worn by the citizens of Rome.
- n. Loose wrap gown.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The loose outer garment worn by the ancient Romans, consisting of a single broad piece of woolen cloth of a shape approaching a semicircle. It was of undyed wool, except the border of the toga prætexta.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The principal outer garment worn by the ancient Romans.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a one-piece cloak worn by men in ancient Rome
This act was symbolised by the Romans in the beautiful ceremony of putting on the toga of manhood (_toga virilis_), when the lad was led by his father to the Capitoline temple to make sacrifices to
My final candidate for the toga is the inestimable Kate Hoey.
Branson, who skydived into the press launch wearing nothing but a red Virgin toga, said of the launch, Virgin has a history of being the first to launch new holiday destinations.
SCENE: Roman citizen (Dave winer) in toga in a hotel room sitting.
The only costume that comes easily to mind for chubbies and chubbettes is a toga, but fat guys in toga look like fat guys in a sheet.
I adored them, both the history and Lizzie's take on them: "[The toga] went on to become a favorite costume of college fraternity parties, for reasons this author cannot fathom, as the toga is neither flattering nor comfortable, especially when worn with control top underwear."
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?
The front page news as we flew down was of hundreds of stundents dressed in Greek toga's all going a bit mad throwing eggs and flour everywhere down the main high street te day before.
His toga was a little awry; he twitched it into the proper folds.
Shopping in a toga is a bargain lovers dream come true!
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.