American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A constellation in the Southern Hemisphere near Libra and Sagittarius, containing the bright red star Antares. Also called Scorpio, Scorpion.
- n. astronomy : A constellation of the zodiac, roughly shaped like a scorpion. Its brightest star is the red giant Antares.
- n. astrology : Scorpio
- n. a large zodiacal constellation between Libra and Sagittarius
- From Latin scorpius ("scorpion"). (Wiktionary)
- Latin scorpius, scorpion, Scorpius; see scorpion. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Hints are emerging that around 30 million years ago, a giant clump of dark matter struck our part of the Milky Way, creating a rippling disc of star formation that eventually produced Orion’s belt, the bright ruby jewel of Antares in Scorpius, and many more of the sky’s most notable stars.”
“A ten-page preview of "Scorpius" #0, which appeared recently on CBR, reveals Scorpius on his own upon a frozen world, with only the planet's ferocious monsters to keep him company.”
“When I had a possibly wacky idea about a major element of the 'Scorpius' series, I felt comfortable pitching it to Rockne and Ian because they've fostered such a collaborative and thoroughly professional dynamic among all the members of their creative teams.”
“Enthusiasts will get the "Scorpius" platform which include an octo or quad-core CPU codenamed Zambezi.”
“John Carmack, the Armadillo Aerospace founder whose "Scorpius" rocket holds the lead in the lander challenge.”
“As part of the X PRIZE Foundation's Northrop Grumman Lunar Lander Challenge, Armadillo Aerospace, led by id Software founder John Carmack, successfully flew its lunar Lander rocket vehicle, "Scorpius," twice in two hours, flying between a pair of landing pads to qualify for the $1 million top prize purse.”
“Scorpius' has been conceived to serve as the edgier, morally darker, and more serious cousin of the lighthearted 'Farscape' comics scripted by Keith R.A. DeCandido, ”
“He was sidetracked from this study to comment on a new star, or nova, that appeared that month a few degrees north of Scorpius.”
“Farscape: Scorpius #0 is now available for preorder for an April release.”
Looking for tweets for Scorpius.