from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A taxonomic genus within the family Sididae — certain cladoceran water fleas.
- proper n. A taxonomic genus within the tribe Maleae — certain flowering plants.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of malvaceous plants common in the tropics. All the species are mucilaginous, and some have tough ligneous fibers which are used as a substitute for hemp and flax.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of polypetalous plants of the order Malvaceæ and tribe Malveæ, type of the subtribe Sideæ.
- n. In zoology, the typical genus of Sididæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large genus of tropical subshrubs or herbs some of which yield fibers of mucilaginous substances
Sorry, no etymologies found.