from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- In the Bible, a son of Jacob and Leah and the forebear of one of the tribes of Israel.
- In the New Testament, the devout Jew who proclaimed the Nunc Dimittis while holding the infant Jesus in his arms.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. Second son of Jacob, by his wife Leah.
- proper n. One of the Israelite tribes, descended from Simeon.
- proper n. A male given name.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Old Testament) the 2nd son of Jacob and one of the 12 patriarchs of Israel
Old Testament Hebrew שִׁמְעוֹן ("hearkening, listening"); Simeon, a son of Jacob. (Wiktionary)