American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Relating to, characteristic of, or resembling an ape or a monkey.
- n. An ape or a monkey.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Like an ape or monkey, in any sense; apish; rhesian; simious: as, simian characters, habits, traits, tricks, antics, etc.
- Technically, of or pertaining to the Simiidæ or Simiinæ; anthropoid or manlike, as one of the higher apes: as, simian ancestors.
- n. An ape or monkey of any kind.
- n. An anthropoid ape of the family Simiidæ.
- adj. Of or pertaining to apes; apely.
- adj. Bearing resemblance to an ape.
- n. A monkey or an ape, especially an anthropoid.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Zoöl.) Of or pertaining to the family
Simiadæ, which, in its widest sense, includes all the Old World apes and monkeys; also, apelike.
- adj. relating to or resembling an ape
- n. an ape or monkey
- From Latin sīmia ("ape, monkey"), from Ancient Greek σιμός (simos, "bent upward"). (Wiktionary)
- From Latin sīmia, ape, probably from sīmus, snub-nosed, from Greek sīmos. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Now, Bieniasz and Hatziioannou, working with Vineet KewalRamani and Jeffrey Lifson at the National Cancer Institute in Maryland, have developed a strain they call simian-tropic HIV-1”
“Its got a commercial edge that is quite clever and sales should not be a worry, to people that like the name simian mobile disco and c collona attached to things.”
“So precious to a simian is the privilege of making sounds with his tongue, that when he wishes to punish severely those men he calls criminals, he forbids them to chatter, and forces them by threats to be silent.”
“The _sulcus occipitalis transversus_, which is generally lightly stamped in man, extends here as a deep fissure across over the occipital lobe, thus producing a so-called simian fissure, and the posterior part of the occipital lobe has the appearance of an operculum.”
“VIRxSYS of Gaithersburg, Maryland, is resurrecting the controversial approach, thanks to successful tests of a similar vaccine against SIV - also known as simian HIV - in monkeys.”
“The strain of HIV -- called simian-tropic HIV-1, or stHIV-1 -- was developed by altering a single gene in the human version of the virus to allow it to infect a pig-tailed macaque, according to researchers.”
“The monkey version of the virus that causes AIDS is called simian immunodeficiency virus”
“The virus was genetically decoded and then put through a computer model to compare its evolutionary past against known viruses, both HIV and its equivalent in apes, called simian immunodeficiency virus (SIV).”
“HIV is believed to have jumped to humans from a close relative called simian immunodeficiency virus or SIV, which infects chimpanzees.”
“It was a wonderful, warm, tropical night, and without a word, we started a kind of simian step, hunching our shoulders up and down and dragging our knuckles on the fine sand.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘simian’.
Building a list for standardized test prep or just for learning some new words! Please add any words that you feel are important for the SAT/GRE/GMAT etc...
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Another compilation of spelling words suitable for intermediate to advanced spellers.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
big ones,small ones,as many as
I can find
Crazy words that fascinate or confuse me.
Do any of your friends eat like a pig? Sly like a fox? Fast as a cheetah? Maybe these words describe them better
COLLECT FROM DIFFERENT PAPERS,WEBSITES,BOOKS AND MOVIES.
Looking for tweets for simian.