American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- Sophocles 496?-406 B.C. Greek dramatist. Together with Euripides and Aeschylus, he is considered one of the greatest dramatists of ancient Greece. His surviving plays include Ajax, Oedipus Rex, Antigone, and Oedipus at Colonus.
- n. A Greek dramatic poet (ca.495 BC – 406 BC); Sophocles was one of the three greatest Greek tragedians. In the Athenian dramatic competitions of the Festival of Dionysus, he won more first prizes (around 20) than any other playwright, and placed second in all others he participated in. He is best remembered for his Oedipus Cycle of plays.
- n. A male given name, mostly representing transliteration of the modern Greek Σοφοκλής.
- n. one of the great tragedians of ancient Greece (496-406 BC)
- From Ancient Greek Σοφοκλῆς (Sophoklēs). (Wiktionary)
“Again, when on a time Sophocles, who was his fellow-commissioner in the generalship, was going on board with him, and praised the beauty of a youth they met with in the way to the ship, Sophocles, said he, a general ought not only to have clean hands, but also clean eyes.”
“one response to these bottlenecks was to compose anthologies, chrestomathies, greatest hits compilations. why copy over the plays of sophocles that were less than brilliant? that competes with resources for copying any of aeschylus. so instead of the 123 plays Sophocles wrote, we have the seven that were considered his greatest hits. and seven by aeschylus, too.”
“Cut to Athens before the victory parade where a quiet young boy called Sophocles is chosen to lead the Procession of the Youth.”
“It suggests that philosophy and cultural studies do, perhaps inevitably, meet at some crossroads or other, perhaps where the three roads meet in Sophocles's Oedipus the”
“Maybe next we can remove the Oedipus trilogy from the curriculum, because man, Sophocles is a bummer.”
“The odes are relevant, the Chorus is indispensable; in short, Sophocles has shown”
“Sophocles is against us; but he says "lamenting Itys," and the comparison of her to Electra is rather as to perseverance day and night than as to sorrow.”
“Sophocles" -- and stained with sea water, as that was stained.”
“You have to remember that GoLFs have been around for thousands of years at least since Aristarchus called Sophocles' writing "ham-handed vulgarity", so there are many rules that have been prescribed to GoLFing.”
“Sophocles, which is now extant, was one of his masterpieces.”
Looking for tweets for Sophocles.