from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Two island groups of Greece in the Aegean Sea, consisting of the Northern Sporades off the central mainland and the Southern Sporades off the coast of Turkey.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. An archipelago in the Aegean Sea.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n.pl. Stars not included in any constellation; -- called also informed, or unformed, stars.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- A group of scattered islands in the Greek Archipelago.
- In ancient astronomy, stars which were not included in any constellation.
Sorry, no etymologies found.