American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- A group of islands of southeast Greece in the southern Aegean Sea. The name was used in ancient times for the islands surrounding Delos.
- n. An Aegean island chain in southeast-central Greece, surrounding the main island Delos, further including the islands of Andros, Naxos, Paros, Santorini, Syra, Tinos and Zea.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. the pre-Mycenaean civilization on the Cyclades islands in the S Aegean sea.
- n. an archipelago consisting of over 200 islands in the southern Aegean sea.
- n. a group of over 200 islands in the southern Aegean
- n. the Bronze Age civilization on the Cyclades islands in the southern Aegean Sea that flourished 3000-1100 BC
- From Ancient Greek Κυκλάδες (Kyklades), plural of Κυκλάς (Kyklas), from κύκλος (kyklos, "circle, ring"). (Wiktionary)
“The Cyclades is a group of islands in the South Aegean Sea which forms a department of which country?”
“It is part of a small group of Aegean islands that took the name Cyclades, from the Greek "cyclos" (circle) because the islands form a circle around Delos, observed as the jewel in the crown of the archipelago.”
“CYTHNUS, one of the islands called the Cyclades, in the Ægean Sea.”
“COS, or COOS, one of the islands called the Cyclades, in the Ægean sea, famous for being the birth-place of Apelles; now _Stan Co_.”
“Moreover they locate the islands interspersed amid the waves, both the greater and also the lesser islands, called Cyclades or”
“The island of Delos (Greek: Δήλος, IPA: [ˈðilo̞s]), isolated in the centre of the roughly circular ring of islands called the Cyclades, near Mykonos, is one of the most important mythological, historical and archaeological sites in Greece.”
“The island of Delos (Greek: δήλος, Dhilos), isolated in the centre of the roughly circular ring of islands called the Cyclades, near Mykonos, is one of the most important mythological, historical and archaeological sites in Greece.”
“My first stop was the island of Syros, part of the group of islands know as the Cyclades close to Athens coast.”
“Eaton, HP, and Server Technology, and a large selection of vendors of console servers, such as Cyclades (Avocent), Digi International, Aten, Perle Systems Limited, and OpenGear.”
“The Cyclades were a cluster of islands in the Ægean Sea, surrounding Delos as though with a circle, whence their name.] [Footnote 53: _Her all-productive face.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Cyclades’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Looking for tweets for Cyclades.