from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A member of the lowest of the four major castes of traditional Indian society, comprising artisans, laborers, and menials.
- adj. Of or relating to the caste of Sudras.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The lowest of the four great castes among the Hindoos. See caste.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The lowest of the four principal castes into which Hindu society was anciently divided, composed of the non-Aryan aborigines of India, reduced to subjection or servitude by their Aryan conquerors.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a member of the lowest or worker Hindu caste
- n. the lowest of the four varnas: the servants and workers of low status
Sanskrit śūdraḥ.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)