from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- The symbol for the element technetium.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Symbol for technetium.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A symbol proposed by Von Behring to designate a curative principle derived from the tubercle bacillus. This substance is taken up by the cells of the body and there transformed into an integral part of these cells: in this form it is termed TX.
- n. An abbreviation of tierce.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a crystalline metallic element not found in nature; occurs as one of the fission products of uranium
- n. a permanent council of the United Nations that commissions a country (or countries) to undertake the administration of a territory
Sorry, no etymologies found.
When a conventional superconductor reaches a critical temperature, called Tc, electrons begin to overcome their preference to mutually repel one another, and instead begin to bunch in pairs that like to cooperate with other pairs.
SETI Institute, unexpectedly spotted the miniature footballs in planetary nebula dubbed Tc
The other role of a subcritical nuclear reactor or ADS is the destruction of heavy isotopes, particularly actinides but also longer-lived fission products such as Tc-99 and I-129.
Next, we found that the periods of ground force application at top backward and forward running speeds were nearly identical, agreeing to within an average of 0.006 s [Tc = 0.116 ± 0.004 s vs. 0.110 ± 0.005 s].
Vertical ground reaction forces (in body weights; Wb) and periods of ground force application (Tc; s) were measured using a custom, high-speed force treadmill.
If you draw a Carnot cycle on a T-S diagram, the work extracted is the area of the box (Th-Tc)*(S2-S1).
You've got a cyclic process with a Th and Qh and Tc and Qc.
This realization of a strongly correlated quantum gas has triggered an avalanche of work at the interface between atomic physics and condensed matter physics, with the prospect of quantum simulators for elusive phenomena ranging from antiferromagnetism to high Tc superconductivity.
Even at 10 degrees Celsius above Tc, the temperature at which the entire sample exhibits superconductivity, the electron pairs still exist in localized regions top left image.
The maximal spread of the boreal forest (taiga) communities in the region is associated with a warmer and wetter-than-present climate (Tw~17–18°C, Tc~–19°C, Pann~500–550 mm) occurred ca.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.