from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The prominence in front of the external opening of the ear. See Illust. under ear.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In anatomy, a small gristly and fleshy prominence at the entrance of the external ear, projecting backward from the anterior edge of the orifice, and partly closing it: the projection opposite is the antitragus. See second cut under ear.
- n. In zoology, a corresponding process guarding the external meatus, sometimes capable of closing the orifice like a valve: in some animals, as bats, developing to enormous size and extraordinary shape, and believed to serve as a delicate tactile organ.
- n. [capitalized] [Haller, 1768.] A genus of grasses, of the tribe Zoysieæ and subtribe Anthephoreæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small cartilaginous flap in front of the external opening of the ear
Sorry, no etymologies found.