American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The third day of the week.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The third day of the week. See week.
- n. The third day of the week in many religious traditions, and the second day of the week in systems that use the ISO 8601 norm; it follows Monday and precedes Wednesday.
- adv. on Tuesday
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The third day of the week, following Monday and preceding Wednesday.
- n. the third day of the week; the second working day
- From Middle English Tewesday, from Old English Tīwesdæġ ("Tuesday"), from Proto-Germanic *Tīwas dagaz (“Tuesday”, literally "Tiw's Day"), from *Tīwaz (“Tyr, god of war”) + *dagaz (“day”). This was a Germanic rendering of Latin dies Martis in interpretatio germanica, itself a translation of Ancient Greek (Areos hemera) (interpretatio romana). Cognate with Scots Tysday ("Tuesday"), West Frisian tiisdei ("Tuesday"), German dialectal Ziestag ("Tuesday"), Danish tirsdag ("Tuesday"), Swedish tisdag ("Tuesday"). More at Tyr, day. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English Tuesdai, from Old English Tīwesdæg, Tiu's day : Tīwes, genitive of Tīw, Tiu; see Tiu + dæg, day (translation of Latin diēs Mārtis, Mars' day). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The best chance of rain Tuesday is in the morning (60-70% chance), but scattered showers and thunderstorms could redevelop in the afternoon (30% chance) after a period of partial sunshine.”
“But a news organization published her name Tuesday and she now says she is ready to go before cameras.”
“A black cocker spaniel called Beckham who was the nation's No. 1 show dog and a wire fox terrier named Eira who was favored by many to walk away with the title Tuesday night proved once again it takes more than a great reputation to own the green carpet.”
“Sadie the Scottie walked off with the title Tuesday night by winning best in show at the 134th Westminster Kennel Club”
“Sadie the Scottie walked off with the title Tuesday night by winning best in show at the Westminster Kennel Club.”
“South Carolina wrapped up the title Tuesday night with a 2-1, 11-inning victory over UCLA in Omaha, Neb.”
“Scottsdale currently is operating under an interim city treasurer, and the council declined to reappoint the city judge to another term Tuesday, although that move may be reconsidered.”
“Sadie the Scottie walked off with the title Tuesday night by winning best in show”
“Sadie the Scottie walked off with the title Tuesday night by winning best in show at the 134th”
“C-G, which clinched a share of the title Tuesday, would win the division outright if it defeats Huntley at home Friday or if McHenry (14-8, 5-3) loses either of its final two games.”
‘Tuesday’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Tuesday.