from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A town of central Mexico north of Mexico City. Impressive Toltec ruins have been discovered on the site. Population: 28,400.
- A city of western Russia south of Moscow. First mentioned in 1146, it was an important fortress in the 16th century and became an armament-manufacturing center in 1712. Population: 466,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A town in Hidalgo, Mexico, near the remains of the Toltec city Tollan.
- proper n. A city in Tula Oblast, Russia, 165km south of Moscow.
- proper n. A western Russian oblast, the capital of which is the city of Tula.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as istle.
From Spanish Tula, from Nahuatl Tōllān "place of bulrushes", from tōllin "bulrush" + -tlān. (Wiktionary)