- n. A computer operating system that shares the original source code by Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, currently owned by Novell.
- n. An operating system largely compatible with Unix that qualifies for use of the Unix trademark, currently owned by The Open Group.
- n. informal A Unix-like operating system similar to Unix but not qualifying for use of the Unix trademark.
- n. The group of Unix operating systems as a whole.
- A pun on Multics; coined by Brian Kernighan. (Wiktionary)
“The data type time_t, used on operating systems such as Unix, is a 32-bit signed integer counting the number of seconds since the start of the Unix epoch (midnight UTC of January 1, 1970).”
“We already know that Unix is better than anything Dos or the NT kernel has to offer for its own reasons.”
“Fundamental in Unix that work is divided into packets; each doing the thing it does well.”
“LOL at mere mention of the word Unix freezing you solid …”
“The history of Unix is the history of people working collectively to create a common good that was useful to all of them.”
“This page describes, in Unix manual page style, a Perl program available for downloading from this site which corrects numerous errors and incompatibilities in HTML generated by, or edited with, Microsoft applications.”
“The day approaches when the Unix internal clock (which ticks off the seconds since midnight GMT on 1/1/70) will hit 1,000,000,000 -- Unix is very nearly one billion seconds old.”
“Red Hat Linux, GNU / Linux, Ubuntu, Debian, SUSE share some core philosophies with UNIX, and are thus called Unix-based OSs.”
“The Mozilla browser's rising market share should induce Google and Apple to pool resources to focus on Microsoft, rather than creating their own "Unix" - like browsers.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Unix’.
Amazed… or awestruck.
You might want to leave a comment with title and artist somewhere. Thanks.
"A trademark is any word, name, symbol, or design, or any combination thereof, used in commerce to identify and distinguish the goods of one manufacturer or seller from those of another and to indi...
all of these are from 7 English
dictionaries and Macquarie dictionary
I havent listed capitalized ones yet
but Viagra would be one and common
words like sterling a sub-machi...
Looking for tweets for Unix.