from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Britain’s highest military award, a bronze Maltese cross - For Valour
- n. Australian and New Zealand's highest military award, awarded for valour.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- proper n. a bronze Maltese cross, awarded for valor to members of the British army or navy. It was first bestowed in 1857, at the close of the Crimean war. The recipients also have a pension of £10 a year.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A decoration founded by Queen Victoria in 1856, and awarded for acts of conspicuous bravery.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a British military decoration for gallantry
Sorry, no etymologies found.