from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The Avesta. No longer in scholarly use.
- n. Avestan. No longer in scholarly use.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Properly, the translation and exposition in the Huzvâresh, or literary Pehlevi, language, of the Avesta, the Zoroastrian sacred writings; as commonly used, the language (an ancient Persian dialect) in which the Avesta is written.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The name commonly given to the language of the Avesta: an ancient form of Iranian or Persian.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an ancient Iranian language
Short for Zend-Avesta. Sense 2, from a misunderstanding of Zend in Zend-Avesta as a language designation.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)