American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An experienced seaman certified to perform all routine duties at sea. Also called able-bodied seaman.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- a seaman who is competent to perform any work which may be required of him on board ship, such as fitting and placing rigging, making and mending sails, in addition to the ability to “hand, reef, and steer.” Synonyms and Capable, competent, qualified, fitted, adequate, efficient; strong, sturdy, powerful, vigorous; talented, accomplished, clever.
- n. Alternative form of able-bodied seaman.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a sailor who is practically conversant with all the duties of common seamanship.
- n. a seaman in the merchant marine; trained in special skills
““I am Stephen Donovan, able seaman off Sirius, Mrs. Morgan,” he said, bowing with a flourish of his Sunday tricorn.”
“He was the most remarkable figure of a burnt-out, aged man one would expect to find able seaman on one of the proudest sailing-ships afloat.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘able seaman’.
aa gets over 40 hits
aardvark 49 hits
abbatoir 103 hits
abjure 138 hits
The Department of Labor maintains a list of all know occupations with detailed descriptions of each. The index is online at http://www.oalj.dol.gov/lib...
hogshead wrecker, stereotyper, devulcanizer tender, impregnator, retort unloader, dross skimmer, rodding-anode worker, blintze roller, honeycomb decapper, keno writer, otorhinolaryngolo..., admeasurer and 38 more...
Looking for tweets for able seaman.