American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The fourth division of the stomach in ruminant animals, such as cows, sheep, and deer, in which digestion takes place.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The fourth or true stomach of ruminating animals, lying next to the omasum or third stomach, and opening through the pylorus into the duodenum. See cut under ruminant.
- n. anatomy The fourth or digestive stomach of a ruminant, which leads from the third stomach, the omasum.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Anat.) The fourth or digestive stomach of a ruminant, which leads from the third stomach
omasum. See ruminantia.
- n. the fourth compartment of the stomach of a ruminant; the one where digestion takes place
- New Latin, from Latin ab ("away from") + omāsum ("tripe of a bullock") (Wiktionary)
“The fourth compartment, known as the abomasum, is the deer's "true" stomach, and it functions in a very similar manner to yours.”
“ The fourth stomach, the abomasum, is most similar to the human stomach.”
“The fourth stomach, the abomasum, is most similar to the human stomach.”
“Mostly I see seconday ketosis due to digestive problems, such as a displaced abomasum and the cow simply has no desire to eat.”
“This is best described as sub-tripe; perhaps originating from the abomasum or duodenum regions.”
“The Defiled Warrior is best described as sub-tripe; perhaps originating from the abomasum or duodenum regions.”
“The Curdling Specialist Traditional rennet is made from the fourth stomach or abomasum of a milk-fed calf less than 30 days old, before chymosin is replaced by other protein-digesting enzymes.”
“Yes, Mr. Stott, it's the tinkling sound you hear in displacement of the abomasum.”
Every living thing
“As noted, the stomach consists of three functional compartments: the rumen, the reticulum, and the abomasum.”
“The four compartments into which it is divided are the rumen, reticulum, omasum, and abomasum or true stomach.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘abomasum’.
Not just rare words, but thousands of RARE WORDS WITH DEFINITIONS.
If you want to see the definitions, too, go to
Everything sheep, from Artiodactyla to zodiac.
aa gets over 40 hits
aardvark 49 hits
abbatoir 103 hits
abjure 138 hits
These things have to do with the stomach...
My collection of words that are intriguing, but don't fit my other lists.
Words unique to Glosseme
Looking for tweets for abomasum.