from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The wood from the mahogany tree or other trees from the family Meliaceae.
- n. A moderate reddish brown that is slightly yellower and stronger than mahogany acajou colour:
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The cashew tree; also, its fruit. See cashew.
- n. The mahogany tree; also, its timber.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of mahogany, the wood of Cedrela fissilis: also applied to the true mahogany and other similar woods. See mahogany.
- n. The fruit of the tree Anacardium occidentale. See cashew-nut, cashew-tree.
- n. A gum or resin extracted from the bark of Anacardium occidentale.
From French, acajou ("cashew"), from Portuguese acaju, from Old Tupi acaju or agapú ("mahogany") or the same root as cashew. (Wiktionary)