from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. Gradually accelerating or quickening in time. Used chiefly as a direction.
- n. An accelerando passage or movement.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A tempo mark directing that a passage is to be played at an increasing speed.
- n. A passage having this mark.
- adv. with a gradual increase in speed
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Gradually accelerating the movement.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- With gradual increase of speed: a direction in music, indicating that a passage is to be played with increasing rapidity.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. with increasing speed
- adj. gradually increasing in tempo
- n. a gradually increasing tempo of music
Italian, present participle of accelerare, to hasten, from Latin accelerāre; see accelerate.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Borrowing from Italian accelerando, from Latin accelero. (Wiktionary)