from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To render quiet; to soothe. - Geoffrey Chaucer
- v. To subdue; to tame; to daunt.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To render quiet; to soothe.
- transitive v. To subdue; to tame; to daunt.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To render quiet; soothe.
- To dishearten; daunt; subdue.
Old French acoyer; ac-, for Latin ad. See coy (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.