from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A colorless, flammable, volatile liquid, CH3CH(OC2H5)2, used in cosmetics and as a solvent.
- n. Any of the class of compounds formed from aldehydes combined with alcohol.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any diether of a geminal diol, R2C(OR')2 (where R' does not = H).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A limpid, colorless, inflammable liquid from the slow oxidation of alcohol under the influence of platinum black.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A colorless mobile liquid, C6H14O2, with an etherlike odor, produced by the imperfect oxidation of alcohol, under the influence of platinum black.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any organic compound formed by adding alcohol molecules to aldehyde molecules
acet(o)- + al(cohol).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From acet(ic) + al(cohol). (Wiktionary)