from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The sprout at the end of a seed when it begins to germinate.
- v. To put forth the first sprout.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The sprout at the end of a seed when it begins to germinate; the plumule in germination; -- so called from its spiral form.
- intransitive v. To put forth the first sprout.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The first leaf which rises above the ground in the germination of grain; also the rudimentary stem or first leaf which appears in malted grain; the developed plumule of the seed.
- To throw out the first leaf; sprout.
Sorry, no etymologies found.