from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A sea anemone or a related animal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a sea anemone, a member of the genus Actinia.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An animal of the class Anthozoa, and family Actinidæ. From a resemblance to flowers in form and color, they are often called animal flowers and sea anemones. [See polyp.].
- n. A genus in the family Actinidæ.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Agenus of zoöphytes, belonging to the Radiata of Cuvier, regarded as the type of the order Malacodermata, subclass Zoantharia, class Actinozoa, subkingdom Cælenterata, in modern classification.
- n. An animal of the genus Actinia or family Actiniidæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a genus of sea anemone common in rock pools
- n. any sea anemone or related animal
New Latin Actīnia, genus name, from Greek aktīs, aktīn-, ray; see actino-.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)