from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of aigrette.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The small white European heron. See egret.
- n. A plume or tuft for the head composed of feathers, or of gems, etc.
- n. A tuft like that of the egret.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The small white heron. See egret.
- n. A plume composed of feathers arranged in imitation of the feathers on the head of the heron, and worn on helmets or by ladies as a part of their head-dress, etc.
- n. A copy in jewelry of such a plume, often so made that the seeming feathers tremble with the movements of the wearer, causing the gems to sparkle.
- n. In botany, same as egret.
- n. In ichthyology, a labroid fish, Lachnolæmus maximus, better known as the hogfish (which see).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a long plume (especially one of egret feathers) worn on a hat or a piece of jewelry in the shape of a plume
Sorry, no etymologies found.