from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An ornamental tuft of upright plumes, especially the tail feathers of an egret.
- n. An ornament, such as a spray of gems, resembling a tuft of plumes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The lesser white heron; the egret.
- n. A feather or plume, or feather-shaped item, used as an adornment or ornament.
- n. The feathery crown of some seeds (such as the dandelion)
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a long plume (especially one of egret feathers) worn on a hat or a piece of jewelry in the shape of a plume
French, egret, from Old French; see egret.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French aigrette ‘egret’. (Wiktionary)