from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Nonstandard Contraction of am not.
- Nonstandard Used also as a contraction for are not, is not, has not, and have not.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- are not, aren’t; is not, isn’t; am not.
- have not, haven’t; has not, hasn’t.
- do not, don’t; does not, doesn’t; did not, didn’t.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A contraction for are not and am not; also used for is not. [Colloq. or illiterate speech]. See an't.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A vulgar contraction of the negative phrases am not and are not: often used for is not, and also, with a variant hain't, for have not and has not.
I bet there are real voices in her head warning her to make sure Sasha's hair is combed, or that Malia doesn't have ashy elbows or avoid using the term ain't in a sentence!
Rebecca Nicholson"You ain't heard nothin' yet," proclaimed Al Jolson in The Jazz Singer in 1927, heralding the end of the silent era in movie-making.
"There ain't no sheriff in this town, or at least there will not be for at least another six months," said Barclays Capital analyst Paul Horsnell .
Her resentments toward the industry are apparent on last year's leak, "Hollywood," in which she sings: "Mother always told me, 'Jo, be careful, everything that glitters ain't gold," and later urges, "Don't sell your soul to have what someone had yesterday."
Perhaps James and Wade really weren't celebrating after Wade's three-pointer and perhaps in their mutual stare expressed their understanding that, to quote Yogi Berra again, it ain't over till it's over -- and that they needed, more than ever, to be focused and mentally tough and keep clawing like they were being by 15 points.
Unless, of course, lining the Dems pockets with legal fees is the real reason we Dems exist, ain't it Mr. Prez?
Bet the media ain't bringing that up to show this confederate flag defender is nothing but a scum bag ....
It ain't over till the fat lady sings - or in this case - till the checks clear.
Dodd you lying, cheating sack of crap, are going down and you can invoke Ted Kennedy all you want, "ain't gonna help ya".
Why would I do that? .... well, for openers how about this: if an Administration cannot deliver Trust to the people, it ain't gonna do much else.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.