from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A widely distributed white feldspar, NaAlSi3O8, that is one of the common rock-forming plagioclase group.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A plagioclase feldspar, the first member of the Albite-Anorthite solid solution series.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A mineral of the feldspar family, triclinic in crystallization, and in composition a silicate of alumina and soda. It is a common constituent of granite and of various igneous rocks. See feldspar.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A triclinic soda feldspar; a common mineral, usually white or nearly white, occurring in crystals and in cleavable masses in granite veins, also as a constituent of many crystalline rocks, as diorite and some kinds of granite. See feldspar.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a widely distributed feldspar that forms rocks
Latin albus, white; see albho- in Indo-European roots + -ite1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the Latin albus (white), the common color of the mineral. (Wiktionary)