from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several derivatives, such as sodium alginate or alginic acid, of a gelatinous substance extracted from certain brown algae and widely used as a thickening, stabilizing, emulsifying, or suspending agent in industrial, pharmaceutical, and food products, such as ice cream.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various gelatinous gums, derivatives of alginic acid, derived from algae.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A nitrogenous substance resembling gelatin, obtained from certain algæ.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A mucilaginous substance obtained from certain algæ, Laminaria stenophylla and L. digitata.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a gum used especially as a thickener or emulsifier
The Brown Seaweeds produce a different kind of hydrocolloid, algin, which is a polymer of guluronic and mannuronic acids.
They store some of their energy in the sweet sugar alcohol mannitol, which can amount to a quarter of the dry weight of fall-harvested kelp, and their typical mucilaginous material is algin.
These special carbohydrates turn out to be useful for making jellies (agar) and for thickening various foods (algin, carrageenan).
Busco a otras personas que vivan en Tinguindin para hablar via el email, especail algin que me pueda mandar photos de tinguindin.
Here again, the reader is referred to the detailed account on algin in the publications by Levring et al., (1969) and Chapman and Chapman (1980).
The tropical seaweeds containing exploitable quantities of algin include species of Sargassum, Turbinaria,
Perhaps many of our dentists are also not aware of the fact that dental industries also make very extensive uses of algin, in various dental preparations.
Many medicinal substances are also delivered to the patients in the form of capsules which are coated with algin.
Team Millennia Song/Choreographer List: "tonight" - algin sterling. "ditch that" - patrick cruz. "being a girl" - george anzaldo/pat cruz
Millennia Song/Choreographer List: "tonight" - algin sterling. "ditch that" - patrick cruz.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.