American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Becoming alkaline; slightly alkaline.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Becoming or tending to become alkaline.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Tending to the properties of an alkali; slightly alkaline.
- adj. tending to become alkaline; slightly alkaline
- alkali + -escent (Wiktionary)
- alkal(i) + -escent. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“In Ireland Sorrel leaves are eaten with fish, and with other alkalescent foods.”
“It is less alkalescent than the flesh of any other animal, and its entire freedom from any irritating quality renders it a fit dish for the ailing, or those whose stomachs are naturally weak.”
Looking for tweets for alkalescent.