from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Common misspelling of allegation.
- n. The act of tying together or attaching by some bond.
- n. The state of being attached.
- n. An old and practical method of solving arithmetic problems related to mixtures of ingredients.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of tying together or attaching by some bond, or the state of being attached.
- n. A rule relating to the solution of questions concerning the compounding or mixing of different ingredients, or ingredients of different qualities or values.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of binding; the state of being bound or united.
- n. The name of several rules or processes in practical arithmetic (see below) for ascertaining the relations between the proportions and prices of the ingredients of a mixture and the cost of the mixture itself per unit of weight or volume. Also called the rule of mixtures.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
May 16th, 2008 7: 10 pm ET this is ridicules! john mccain is the best candidite in the race! this stupid alligation is the product of the libral media trying to make him a lier! aghhhh!!!
It was interesting to see those little Tlaxcalan fellows solve problems in alligation and percentage, in bonds and mortgages; but it is doubtful whether any of them, in actual life, will have to deal with blending coffees, or with selling bonds, and cutting coupons.
Truth to say, it was so long since we had studied alligation, that we had really forgotten what it was, and so expressed a preference for it.
Accordingly fourteen or fifteen boys, from ten to fourteen years of age, stepped out upon the dirt floor; we were told that they could work examples in percentage, interest, bonds and mortgages, discount, alligation -- which did we prefer?
There were banking and equation of payments and all the "roots" and progression and alligation and mensuration.
This he did as far as barter and alligation; so that all the time I was there I was entirely employed.
Lots of colored people are getting tickets for so many stupid alligation on the streets, till the judge will have to dismiss so many ridiculous cases.
His past legal issues do not exist since they were only alligation.
Well seems as sex alligation gets attention I have been trying to get somebody attention for the poor, inadequate care I have received from the Huntington VA for 3months but nobody wants to listen, they have made several mistakes, but told me they didnt make mistakes, I have been in the ER 3 times for a kidney stone not once asked for my picture ID, a nurse tried to give me another patient shot and me telling him that was not for me, then the doctor looked up and said no wrong patient, I recenty called the HVA and give them my name last 4 and they argued that I was Alfered not correct.
- having smell or taste of garlic; belonging to the onion family of plants. alligation
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.