from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A high mountain.
- n. A very large mound or mass.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A very high mountain. Specifically, one of the Alps, the highest chain of mountains in Europe.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A very high mountain. Specifically, in the plural, the highest chain of mountains in Europe, containing the lofty mountains of Switzerland, etc.
- n. Fig.: Something lofty, or massive, or very hard to be surmounted.
- n. A bullfinch.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An old local name for the bullfinch, Pyrrhula vulgaris.
- n. A high mountain; specifically, any one of the higher Swiss mountains, and, as a proper name in the plural, the great mountain-ranges in Switzerland and neighboring countries, comprising the loftiest mountains in Europe.
- n. In Switzerland, a pasture on the side of a mountain.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any high mountain
Back-formation from the Alps .(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Alps, from French Alpes, from Latin Alpes, from probably non-PIE root *alb- (Wiktionary)