from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The first and the last: "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord” ( Revelation 1:8).
- n. The most important part.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The first and last; the beginning and end.
- n. The first and last letters in the Greek alphabet, quotation:
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the beginning and the ending; hence, the chief, the whole.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the first and last; signifies God's eternity
- n. the basic meaning of something; the crucial part
From alpha and omega From Rev. 1:8. Translation of Ancient Greek τὸ ἄλφα καὶ τὸ ὦ. (Wiktionary)