from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An initialism: an abbreviation which is read letter-by-letter, such as "U.N."
- n. The ability to read an alphabet, a rudimentary form of literacy.
- n. Excessive reliance upon the alphabet or alphabetic structures.
- n. Discrimination on the basis of the first letter of a name.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The expression of spoken sounds by an alphabet.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The use of an alphabet as a stage in the development of written language; notation by means of an alphabet.
Sorry, no etymologies found.