from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- , (archaic) shortening of amn’t, from am not
- , (archaic) respelling of aren’t, from are not, in some non-rhotic dialects
- , (archaic) variant of isn’t, from is not
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A contraction for are and am not; also used for is not; -- now usually written ain't.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A colloquial contraction of are n't, are not, and of am not, and with greater license also of is not. In the second pronunciation also written ain't or aint.
- n. A dialectal reduction of ha'n't, a contraction of have not and has not. Also written ain't, aint, like hain't, haint.
- n. A colloquial contraction of an it, if it. See an, and.
Sorry, no etymologies found.