from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A style of animation developed in Japan, characterized by stylized colorful art and often adult themes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An artistic style heavily used in, and associated with, Japanese animation, and that has also been adopted by a comparatively low number of animated works from other countries
- n. An animated work originated in Japan, regardless of the artistic style.
- n. An animated work in anime style, regardless of the country of origin.
- n. A resin from a tropical American tree (Hymenaea courbaril), used to make varnishes.
Japanese, short for animēshon, animation, from English animation.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Japanese アニメ ("anime"), an abbreviation of アニメーション ("animēshon"), from English animation. (Wiktionary)
French animé ("animated") (from the insects that are entrapped in it); or native name. (Wiktionary)