American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A union between two gametes that differ in size or form.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In biology, conjugation between dissimilar gametes or reproductive cells.
- n. A form of sexual bonding involving partners of unusually widely differing ages.
- n. cytology Sexual reproduction involving the union or fusion of two dissimilar gametes.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (biology) reproduction by the union or fusion of two differing gametes (especially differing in size).
- n. (biology) reproduction by the union or fusion of two differing gametes (especially differing in size)
- aniso- + -gamy (Wiktionary)
“Gametes and fertilization are at least as old as animals, with many different types of external and internal fertilization and anisogamy is almost as old.”
“From isogamy where both “egg” and “sperm” are one and the same, to anisogamy where the egg hecomes the larger and the sperm the smaller one to oogamy where the sperm is now flagellated and fertilizes an egg with no flagella.”
“Some green algae produce gametes that differ from vegetative cells, and in some species, the male gamete differs in size or morphology from the female gamete anisogamy”
“Maybe this collection is sufficiently different to be separate from wikipedia, but it could still stand to have its own wiki-like organization, so that, for instance, a not-so-basic concept like anisogamy could point to the more-basic concepts like "sexual reproduction" and”
Looking for tweets for anisogamy.