from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To furnish (a literary work) with critical commentary or explanatory notes; gloss.
- intransitive v. To gloss a text.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To add annotation
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To explain or criticize by notes.
- intransitive v. To make notes or comments; -- with on or upon.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To comment upon; remark upon in notes: as, to annotate the works of Bacon.
- To act as an annotator; make annotations or notes.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. provide interlinear explanations for words or phrases
- v. add explanatory notes to or supply with critical comments
Latin annotāre, annotāt-, to note down : ad-, ad- + notāre, to write (from nota, note; see gnō- in Indo-European roots).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)