from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The period during which a flower is fully open and functional.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The event of a flower opening.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The period or state of full expansion in a flower.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The period or act of expansion in flowers.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the time and process of budding and unfolding of blossoms
Greek anthēsis, flowering, from anthein, to bloom, from anthos, flower.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Ancient Greek ἄνθος (anthos, "flower"), + -ησις, suffix indicating an event. (Wiktionary)