American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of a class (Anthozoa) of marine organisms, such as the corals and sea anemones, that have radial segments and grow singly or in colonies.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or having the characters of the Anthozoa; anthozoic.
- n. One of the Anthozoa; an anthozoön.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Zoöl.) Pertaining to the Anthozoa.
- n. sessile marine coelenterates including solitary and colonial polyps; the medusoid phase is entirely suppressed
- From Anthozoa + -an. (Wiktionary)
“In turn, anthozoan species seem to have lost their group A HOX9-14 gene (present in hydrozoans; inconclusive data for scyphozoans; figure 1).”
“Hill A, Wagner A, Hill M (2003) Hox and paraHox genes from the anthozoan Parazoanthus parasiticus.”
“Neuronal GSX expression, as reported from several hydrozoan and anthozoan species, is clearly more significant.”
“Hydra magnipapillata full genome and have not been identified until now in other hydrozoan or scyphozoan species, being only known from the anthozoan”
“In some cases, gene relationships among cnidarian groups are congruent with the species phylogeny: hydrozoan sequences are sister-group to scyphozoan sequences, with anthozoan sequences branching basally to this ensemble.”
“Development 134: 2549-2560. de Jong DM, Hislop NR, Hayward DC, Reece-Hoyes JS, Pontynen PC, et al. (2006) Components of both major axial patterning systems of the Bilateria are differentially expressed along the primary axis of a 'radiate' animal, the anthozoan cnidarian Acropora millepora.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘anthozoan’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Looking for tweets for anthozoan.